I'd like to join EFnet

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

koichirose

I'd like to join EFnet

Postby koichirose » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:16 pm

but i've been d-lined for about 2 weeks.
it says open proxy found, I really don't know how to solve that...
help :)
wundr

Re: I'd like to join EFnet

Postby wundr » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:58 am

koichirose wrote:but i've been d-lined for about 2 weeks.
it says open proxy found, I really don't know how to solve that...
help :)
In the ban message, is there a URL listed? If so, you should go there and there should be information about getting yourself removed from that blacklist. Before that, however, you'll need to make sure that the proxy running on your computer is removed. You'll want to run a full anti-virus check as well as anti-spyware and anti-trojan checks to see if you are infected with any of those. Some good programs are The Cleaner and Spybot S&D.

Also, there are a couple other threads about this same subject in the Help forum section. (e.g. http://www.efnet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559 , http://www.efnet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=552 , among others). Maybe reading those could give you some more advice.
koichirose

Postby koichirose » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:42 am

i read those threads and i already ran the cleaner+spybot, nothing happened.

i live in milano, italy, and here we have a network with a NAT and private IPs many of my friends with my same connection have this problem, i don't think it's a problem related to the single computer...

and yes, i tried to go on that url but i didn't saw any removal instructions
seiki

Postby seiki » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:24 pm

if you can't get directly on EFnet from home or work, you can try our free webchat site

-douglas
koichirose

Postby koichirose » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:39 pm

i'm banned even if i enter from the webchat...
seiki

Postby seiki » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:21 am

koichirose wrote:i'm banned even if i enter from the webchat...
what is the error message?

-douglas
koichirose

Postby koichirose » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:34 pm

*** Banned Temporary K-line 1440 min. - Blacklisted Proxy found. Visit http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=xxx for info. (2005/3/31 11.34)

i try to delist me from that site but the day after i'm listed again..i have no proxy running!
koichirose

Postby koichirose » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:25 pm

"The best you can do is ask the provider (ie: IRC owner) to exempt your IP, or suggest alternates. Open proxy DNSBLs are often used by IRC operators for good reason, and the CBL is pretty much equivalent to an open proxy DNSBL."

http://cbl.abuseat.org/nonmail.html

i really don't know what to do..i scanned my pc for viruses, adware and malware, didn't find anything. i'm not running a proxy. help..
deww

Postby deww » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:04 pm

try this: get a trusted friend to scan your IP address with something called a port scanner and see what the results are, take note of the "opened" ports that gets detected. you will need to do some research yourself if you find anything and see if they are common ones for certain exploits or proxies. depending on how your ISP is set up, it might not be something you can change unless you change providers. good luck. make sure you use the IP address that people see over the internet. http://www.whatismyip.com/ is one such site to see what it is.
koichirose

Postby koichirose » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:45 am

i don't know how to get port scanned by a friend.
and if i find some ports i can't do anything with them, my isp "decide for me". do i have to change provider just to join EFnet? -_-
deww

Postby deww » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:08 pm

koichirose, since there's a lack of information on what you posted on what the "blacklists" find, it's hard to really offer many suggestions. as for port scanning, there are quite a few websites that will do that for you, just search for online port scanner and check a few of them out. i just don't know how many ports are scanned and if the information is helpful to you. when i mentioned your ISP, i meant it is possible that they only have one public IP address and all it's customers are behind some type of internet sharing solution (NAT), and they can be running a proxy or some type of service which might considered exploitable. if that is indeed the case, then there's not much you can really do besides switch ISPs. if your ISP gives each customer their own public IP address, then chances are, but does not necessarily mean, your ISP would block ports that are common for exploits instead of leaving them alone. if they don't, then you'd still need to have something running off your computer in order for the proxy scanners to detect something it doesn't like. you can check your IP address to see if it's one of those reserved for private networks which can be 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, 192.168.x.x and sometimes 169.254.x.x. if it is, and you don't have an internet sharing device like a broadband router, then you are probably behind the ISP's own private network and there's not much you can do. if your IP address matches what you see on a website like http://www.whatismyip.com , then you aren't and you have a lot more control on your end. to check your current IP address in windows 2000 or xp, click on Start, select Run, type in: cmd /k ipconfig. a software firewall can be useful for you too. i hope this makes sense. in the end, if none of this helps, do a search for "shell accounts," "BNC" services and perhaps you can use that to connect to EFNet. however, don't expect too much information here on setting those up or what to do with those. you can also. this recent article might be of some use http://www.efnet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=563 for the penny conservative types. ;)
koichirose

Postby koichirose » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:51 pm

first of all, thank you.
yes, i'm behind a NAT. i've been on EFnet for about 6-7 months, last year, even more on 2003-2004 and nothing ever happened. why is this happening now? my external ip is different from my internal one, for the NAT question...
i'll try to search for a BNC or..i'll never join efnet..
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:39 pm

there are currently 5 clients on EFnet from your ip, and there were a maximum of 7 on Mon Mar 28 10:38:30 2005 PST.
so obviously you're able to get online somewhere. are you living in a house with multiple users, or running a multi-user server? if so, it's quite possible it's not you that is causing your external IP to get listed in CBL, but one of the other users behind your NAT.
CBL listings are usually caused by mass-mailing virii, but can also be caused by misconfigured open proxies (wingate, analogx, etc).
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
koichirose

Postby koichirose » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:02 pm

lately (yesterday and today) i'm able to enter efnet.
i enter with 1 computer, the others you see are people who live near me (we are under the same NAT, that's why you see many from the same ip).
i can't do nothing with it, often i get that message also when i login to a ftp server (too many connections from the same ip)
deww

Postby deww » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:49 am

Ah. I didn't see your post on the NAT. In that case, there's not too much you can do when you do get banned. If you continue to have problems later on, you might want to try the "shell / bnc" alternative I mentioned, but it's your call and it most likely not free. Good luck.