#ChanFix Jupe

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

groop

#ChanFix Jupe

Postby groop » Mon May 16, 2005 3:00 pm

Would anyone from *.demon.uk know why there is a Jupe on #ChanFix but yet, allow their Opers to reside in it? I just find it a little odd.. and a bit confusing to the /lusers. I'm just asking, so please.. refrain from jumping down my throat. /me winks :lol:
auth {
user = "cpe-24-209-1??-?.woh.res.rr.com";
password = "asifiwould";
spoof = "unable.to.resolve";
flags = no_tilde;
class = "users";
};
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon May 16, 2005 8:36 pm

it's posted in their motd:
~-= For matters regarding channel takeovers please talk to an =-~
~-= active oper and do not use #chanfix. =-~
for further information, i would ask an efnet.demon.co.uk admin or operator.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
lucy

Postby lucy » Mon May 16, 2005 10:17 pm

try /stats p the server you are on (or any server) and talk to an oper

#chanfix is a help channel, but its not the only way to get a channel fixed.
groop

Postby groop » Mon May 16, 2005 10:46 pm

I tried, but no answer. I'll try to catch up w/t Linds tonite. I seen the /motd but a few 'good' people didn't and tried to join #ChanFix a few times.. and were K-Lined. Again, i'm not trying to stir the pot up.. or cos a heated debate. I just wondered if someone, from *demon.uk may have had some insight on it. Thanks for the curtious reply Munky... You too Lucy. Goodday. :lol:
auth {
password = "asifiwould";
flags = no_tilde;
class = "users";
};
lucy

Postby lucy » Tue May 17, 2005 2:59 am

do you need help with a channel, or just concerned cause you can't join #chanfix?
feel free to msg me if you need help with a channel.
if you want to be able to join #chanfix, you might try just changing servers.
groop

Postby groop » Tue May 17, 2005 2:43 pm

Thanks Lucy. Basicaly was concerned about the issue.. not that it matters much.. Also, tiggergrm took care of it. :D
auth {
password = "asifiwould";
flags = no_tilde;
class = "users";
};
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat May 28, 2005 9:49 am

Some servers and administrators dont belive we should have help channels like #chanfix, as "nothing is ever offical" on efnet.. and its a target for kiddies and trolls wanting to have fun.

With open I servers all over the place, /stats p`ing one server and tracking down one oper doesnt have the same efficiency like it once used to, and efnet is way behind when it comes to global tools.

Several seems to think that its better that every server have 20 uniqe opers so they can cover their part of the sandbox 24/7 rather then implementing more global tools so the opers can perform more network maintainance when it comes to abuse rather then server maintainance...

It`s a evil circle we are in.. there are to many opers all over the place to build trust, and because there are to many we dont trust global tools arent voted in in fear of abuse, and because they arent voted in we continue to need more and more opers to cover each server.. funny eh? :)
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
groop

Postby groop » Sat May 28, 2005 2:11 pm

Thanks Hardy! Need a devoted Oper? Hook me up! /me winks [j/k] :lol: But honestly, thanks for the reply. It gives me a better insight on the situation and makes it more clear as to their motives for keeping #ChanFix juped.
auth {
password = "asifiwould";
flags = no_tilde;
class = "users";
};
sealie

Postby sealie » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:32 pm

Sorry for the late answer as I've not checked this forum lately.

I don't want to explain this in detail because most of the oppinions are disclosed between my fellow opers and admins. The idea behind CHANFIX was having 3 unique CHANFIX admins per server, and let every server and admin decide which situation that would be suitable for a fix, or not suitable for a fix. The last years #chanfix has "grown" into being a prime flooding target for kiddies, and most of all - some people/admins does not agree about the unwritten guidelines and ethics behind a fix.

To prevent any of the drama mentioned above, the staff of efnet.demon.co.uk decided to jupe the channel and rather have our local users message the local opers for CHANFIX issues. We have 3 active CHANFIX representatives who will help you if you have a valid CHANFIX request. Make sure you read the FAQ at http://www.efnet.org/chanfix before you /stats p and message an oper.

I hope this cleared things up.
(PS! I am a CHANFIX representative myself if you ever need any help)

Vidar S
oper, efnet.demon.co.uk, efnet.port80.se & irc.efnet.nl