Welcome to the new www.efnet.info forum :)

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Salvation

Postby Salvation » Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:15 pm

nice.. welcome back..
deppy

*evil laughter*

Postby deppy » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:33 am

Nice to see the forums are back up. I was lost as to where to troll, and chans like #elite-chatterzzz-unite!!! just weren't cutting it.

<3
Klimpong

Postby Klimpong » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:31 pm

Just for the record: Great job on the website, qurve. :)

I totally dig this emoticon -> :twisted:
deww

Postby deww » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:26 pm

Welcome back! I thought it'd never make it back alive. W00t! The site is sexy and sleek. Great job! :D
drac

Postby drac » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:30 am

i'm glad to see the forum is back!
Damn|t

Postby Damn|t » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:12 am

the new forum looks really nice

thanks to those that helped put it back up!
elm

Postby elm » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:51 pm

nice to see efnet has a forum and unofficial web page again
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:40 pm

actually, this is an official webpage, just not an official forum opers/admins are still not required to participate in this forum. that's what EMC will be for, though i am not certain how much of EMC standard users are going to be able to see. at the very least, i think, past votes, etc.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
seiki

Postby seiki » Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:17 pm

munky wrote:actually, this is an official webpage, just not an official forum opers/admins are still not required to participate in this forum. that's what EMC will be for, though i am not certain how much of EMC standard users are going to be able to see. at the very least, i think, past votes, etc.

It's only official because it's completely run and hosted by efnet admins and opers. Nobody is required to read or post to this forum in regards to EFnet. We just do it because it's fun. There is already several areas on this site which are only accessable to EFnet admins and opers, and I think that's what the munkaroo is talking about here.

(In case you're wondering, We keep the really good kidney stones and warez in these areas...)

-seiki
wundr

Postby wundr » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:02 am

seiki wrote:
munky wrote:actually, this is an official webpage
<snip>
It's only official because it's completely run and hosted by efnet admins and opers.
<snip>
wouldn't http://www.efnet.net also be an "official" site based on that, since it is also run by efnet admins/opers? what about the domains efnet.org and efnet.info (uvex's server is gone now, and is isi an oper?) and what if those people decide not to use those domains for EFNet/this site anymore? I think EFNet is better off not having an "official" web site.

(I know it's just quibbling over terms, but i still think it's better that way)
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:10 am

wundr wrote:
seiki wrote:
munky wrote:actually, this is an official webpage
<snip>
It's only official because it's completely run and hosted by efnet admins and opers.
<snip>
wouldn't http://www.efnet.net also be an "official" site based on that, since it is also run by efnet admins/opers? what about the domains efnet.org and efnet.info (uvex's server is gone now, and is isi an oper?) and what if those people decide not to use those domains for EFNet/this site anymore? I think EFNet is better off not having an "official" web site.

(I know it's just quibbling over terms, but i still think it's better that way)
Yes, i guess it does make efnet.net also "official". This is just a information page about the network driven by some of its opers & admins, and i guess efnet.net is so also. EFnet doesnt have any "owner(s)" so i guess it will never have a uniqe official page.

When it comes to the ripe information about the domain i actually owns it. The information about the owner update have been sent to netsol but isnt updated in the whois databases yet. That means that efnet.info will allways point toward this page.
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
wundr

Postby wundr » Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:21 pm

Hardy wrote:Yes, i guess it does make efnet.net also "official". This is just a information page about the network driven by some of its opers & admins, and i guess efnet.net is so also. EFnet doesnt have any "owner(s)" so i guess it will never have a uniqe official page.
yah, understood. i understand that it is "official" in the sense that it is endorsed/run by some 'official' people from EFNet (people that run servers). just that when you start calling something THE OFFICIAL SITE OF whatever, you are saying that it is the outlet for all official information about the network, and that all information here is endorsed by the entire network. if what is said here (not including the forums, I guess) is not necessarily representative of the ENTIRE network, I wouldn't call it "official". For example (yes, I know this isn't related to this site), the ad on http://www.efnet.net for selling shells on corp.efnet.net. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that there might be some admin(s) out there that don't agree with that. In that case, and since the profit from the shells is going to individuals, the site (efnet.net) should be looked at as ParaGod and Co.'s site about EFNet, rather than an officially endorsed EFNet site (in which case the profit would go to an entity called "EFNet", which doesn't exist like it does on some other networks, like you said, Hardy).
When it comes to the ripe information about the domain i actually owns it. The information about the owner update have been sent to netsol but isnt updated in the whois databases yet. That means that efnet.info will allways point toward this page.
that's all fine and good, but what if, say, you fucked something up and then there was a vote to delink your servers from the network, and it pissed you off (purely a hypothetical). You might not be able to guarantee that you would always point this domain at this site. Since there is no "EFNet" entity like exists on some other networks, there's always a chance that domains might disappear (as you see with other networks, just read archives at http://www.ircnews.com - thank goodness EFNet doesn't use one domain and put all the server names under that, ala *.undernet.org and *.dal.net)

Yah, i know i'm babbling here about something pretty trivial. I just don't think that there should/could be an "official" site for EFNet (that's something that I always liked about EFNet). Oh, and I have lots of extra time on my hands to make long posts about unimportant terminology. :D
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:02 pm

wundr wrote:
Hardy wrote:Yes, i guess it does make efnet.net also "official". This is just a information page about the network driven by some of its opers & admins, and i guess efnet.net is so also. EFnet doesnt have any "owner(s)" so i guess it will never have a uniqe official page.
yah, understood. i understand that it is "official" in the sense that it is endorsed/run by some 'official' people from EFNet (people that run servers). just that when you start calling something THE OFFICIAL SITE OF whatever, you are saying that it is the outlet for all official information about the network, and that all information here is endorsed by the entire network. if what is said here (not including the forums, I guess) is not necessarily representative of the ENTIRE network, I wouldn't call it "official". For example (yes, I know this isn't related to this site), the ad on http://www.efnet.net for selling shells on corp.efnet.net. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that there might be some admin(s) out there that don't agree with that. In that case, and since the profit from the shells is going to individuals, the site (efnet.net) should be looked at as ParaGod and Co.'s site about EFNet, rather than an officially endorsed EFNet site (in which case the profit would go to an entity called "EFNet", which doesn't exist like it does on some other networks, like you said, Hardy).
that's all fine and good, but what if, say, you fucked something up and then there was a vote to delink your servers from the network, and it pissed you off (purely a hypothetical). You might not be able to guarantee that you would always point this domain at this site. Since there is no "EFNet" entity like exists on some other networks, there's always a chance that domains might disappear (as you see with other networks, just read archives at http://www.ircnews.com - thank goodness EFNet doesn't use one domain and put all the server names under that, ala *.undernet.org and *.dal.net)

Yah, i know i'm babbling here about something pretty trivial. I just don't think that there should/could be an "official" site for EFNet (that's something that I always liked about EFNet). Oh, and I have lots of extra time on my hands to make long posts about unimportant terminology. :D
Agree, that is one of the "strong sides" about EFnet that it doesnt have one dependant service such as a single domain. Then there is also no owner of the network but simply a "majority win" process.

I guess we can never guarantee that the domain wount go away, lets just say that there is a reason why efnet.org wasnt operational for months 8)

And you are right, not everyone is "thrilled" by efnet.net selling shells using the networks domain name, especally when they try to be a information page on behalf of the network. Let me just say that there will never be any adv. banners on efnet.info.
-- Hardy
Services Administrator
q

Postby q » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:34 am

what did happen to the old efnet.org ? why was it down for so long ?
All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power. Ashleigh Brilliant
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:47 am

q wrote:what did happen to the old efnet.org ? why was it down for so long ?
Several reasons.

First we had a hudge DDoS attack so the isp blocked the two servers we had ( one for html and another one for the databases ). After a while ( 3 weeks ) the server hosting html was up while the database server was still down.

The admins of those servers, uvex, had his hands full trying to keep irc.rt.ru (which failed ) at the time so efnet.org was 2. priority.

Also, a litle internal discussion on how this page should look was also one of the reasons nothing happend. Some insisted on keeping the old page and wanted that up and running again while some wanted this new design and features.

Also remember the primary domain for this site is http://www.efnet.info, efnet.org is just pointed here for the time beeing, something i hope will be permanently but as i`m not the owner i cant guarantee that
-- Hardy
Services Administrator