What's going on with the servers?

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Jepp

What's going on with the servers?

Postby Jepp » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:47 am

Now-a-days, it seems that everytime i check to see what's the news on efnet.org, there's another server leaving. To me, it looks like its happening nearly every week; and most of them state that it's because they do not like the direction EFNet is heading.

Are there any other issues to the servers leaving? Because i really don't see any major changes to the network other than the +E/+i modes that have recently been added.

I'm not trying to bash anyone or any server, it just looks like there are more and more leaving each time i check.
People expect more from a kid named Jepp. Jepp's not just a name, it's an idea!
Kellog

Postby Kellog » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:56 am

I could easily imagine some controversy over the oper tools that were recently voted in. Personally I don't fear for my privacy just because these tools becomes available and if it furthers the spam/drone/whatever hunt, then shoot away.
Salvation

Re: What's going on with the servers?

Postby Salvation » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:31 pm

Jepp wrote:Now-a-days, it seems that everytime i check to see what's the news on efnet.org, there's another server leaving. To me, it looks like its happening nearly every week; and most of them state that it's because they do not like the direction EFNet is heading.

Are there any other issues to the servers leaving? Because i really don't see any major changes to the network other than the +E/+i modes that have recently been added.

I'm not trying to bash anyone or any server, it just looks like there are more and more leaving each time i check.
All of the servers that delinked were not because of new policy efnet has implemented recently.. *.Qeast was many things that caused its delink (including politics), vrfx did not give an official reason why they left but I do not believe it was due to direction that the network was heading, mpls's leave has nothing to do with how the network was heading and isprime did leave due to politics but I dont believe it was due to new policies.. Just overall politics and the DOS's the other night broke the camels back..

Being an EFNet admin is not easy.. You are dealing with people that have different ideas, so there is alot of bickering.. You also have people (users and other opers) constantly bugging you for spoofs, olines or ilines and it can get very annoying. You get threats of DOS alot and are always trying to protect your server and most times the cause of the threats are really stupid things (ie. so and so is being a jerk and I dont like his attitude, remove him or I will take you down. etc.. etc.. etc..). Unfortunatly IRC is taken very seriously by some people and they would rather throw packets than use /ignore.. IRC starts to become no fun and full of rules if you take it too seriously..

Well enough rambling..
Salvation @ EFNet
[A] irc.blessed.net
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:49 pm

Salvation wrote:
Jepp wrote:Now-a-days, it seems that everytime i check to see what's the news on efnet.org, there's another server leaving. To me, it looks like its happening nearly every week; and most of them state that it's because they do not like the direction EFNet is heading.

All of the servers that delinked were not because of new policy efnet has implemented recently.. *.Qeast was many things that caused its delink (including politics), vrfx did not give an official reason why they left but I do not believe it was due to direction that the network was heading, mpls's leave has nothing to do with how the network was heading and isprime did leave due to politics but I dont believe it was due to new policies.. Just overall politics and the DOS's the other night broke the camels back..

Being an EFNet admin is not easy.. You are dealing with people that have different ideas, so there is alot of bickering.. You also have people (users and other opers) constantly bugging you for spoofs, olines or ilines and it can get very annoying. You get threats of DOS alot and are always trying to protect your server and most times the cause of the threats are really stupid things (ie. so and so is being a jerk and I dont like his attitude, remove him or I will take you down. etc.. etc.. etc..). Unfortunatly IRC is taken very seriously by some people and they would rather throw packets than use /ignore.. IRC starts to become no fun and full of rules if you take it too seriously..

Well enough rambling..
*applauds* This really summarize it all, good work.
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
Jepp

Postby Jepp » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:21 pm

Ahh, ok. Nice brief up on the servers, sorry i was just confused but this cleared most up. Thanks
People expect more from a kid named Jepp. Jepp's not just a name, it's an idea!
tiz

Postby tiz » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:46 pm

Salvation wrote:

Well enough rambling..
Best thorough reply ever.

-tiz
Dario

Postby Dario » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:17 am

Kellog wrote:I could easily imagine some controversy over the oper tools that were recently voted in. Personally I don't fear for my privacy just because these tools becomes available and if it furthers the spam/drone/whatever hunt, then shoot away.
Yeah with Carnivore and the Patriot act who really is concerned about a little oper abuse of tech tools. :twisted:
Member DNRC
seiki

Postby seiki » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:16 pm

Dario wrote: Yeah with Carnivore and the Patriot act who really is concerned about a little oper abuse of tech tools. :twisted:
yeah really.. let's not forget about the DMCA, too..

-seiki