Why do YOU use ipv6?

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Why do YOU use ipv6 to connect to EFnet?

To play with the new protocol
34%
To show my really cool hostname
7%
To hide my ipv4 so I can't be DoSed
24%
To have more than 1 ip on my box with many accounts
14%
To connect hundreds of clones from a single machine
3%
To more easily avoid bans/klines/glines
3%
What is this ipv6 thing? Can you eat it?
10%
Other reason
3%

Total votes: 29
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:40 pm

ipv6 servers are:
irc.ipv6.homelien.no
irc.aloha.net
irc.efnet.nl
efnet.ipv6.xs4all.nl
(most of which are down or unstable)

As far as I know anyway... Personally I think ipv6 is a waste of time, though I did use it when an ipv6 server was first linked to efnet to check out the protocol... oh and to show of my "elite" domain hm2k.org...

But if we were going to make something of it then maybe he.net should link up an ipv6 server since they are ipv6 'tunnelers'... I thought that would make sense.

So far I have seen abuse from ipv6 addresses in the form of, I can't find an ipv4 frontend to find out who a person really is, also I got attacked by an ipv6 mirkforce net, which was majorly gay...

Personally I think ipv6 is a waste of time, money, effort, etc (the list goes on) but I am almost sure that this was discussed previously on the old efnet forum.

BTW, what if you don't use IPv6? I see no option...
- HM2K - https://hm2k.org/
Klimpong

Postby Klimpong » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:33 pm

HM2K wrote: irc.aloha.net
Their IPv6 is down, though they plan to setup a seperate server according to their /motd. ;)
HM2K wrote: BTW, what if you don't use IPv6? I see no option...
Hehe... I guess that makes two! Someone add it! :)
prefect

Postby prefect » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:56 pm

bobjuh wrote:Can't you realy ddos a ipv6 host ?
You can, unfortunatly, also ddos an IPv6 host. But there's not enough windows-idiots running IPv6 yet, so there's not many big ddos-nets of infected computers. So your everyday scriptkiddie wont have a way to do this. But, I'm sure there's some ipv6-ddosnets out there somewhere.
sierran wrote:what do you mean "a few ipv6 servers"? to the best of my knowledge irc.ipv6.homelien.no is the only working ipv6 server on efnet. and its frequently down.
is there some secret list of ipv6 servers that is being hidden from the public? i demand access to that list!!
Dunno what acid you've eaten to make you believe that irc.ipv6.homelien.no is frequently down. I've been using that server since a week before it linked to efnet :) and I've never had any problems except once in a while when their IPv4 server gets hit since it's linked to EFnet via that.
HM2K wrote: Personally I think ipv6 is a waste of time, money, effort, etc (the list goes on) but I am almost sure that this was discussed previously on the old efnet forum.
Tell that to Asia :) IPv6 is, unfortunatly, something that we have to move to sooner or later. But that's a totally different subject.

Myself I use it to hide my ipv4 ip, not for vanity. (I have enough IPv4 adresses if i was interested in lo-ng.cool.h0stnam.es
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:05 pm

but does ipv6 actually provide any of the new benefits? afterall in my understanding it still has to be tunneled over ipv4. correct me if i am wrong please.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:33 pm

most core network equipment is moving to support ipv6, but it's a slow rollout because there's a lot of equipment to upgrade. upgrades are mainly starting at the larger networks (ie - AT&T, UUNet, etc) before it trickles down to the smaller networks. This is why a lot of ipv6 has to be tunneled through ipv4, because what you want to reach may not have an IPv6 address, or even a route to follow if it had one.
many larger websites will resolve to both ipv6 and ipv4 addresses, and connections will first be attempted via ipv6 (and fail with no route to host if you have no v6 IP on your system), then try ipv4.
it will be a few years yet before the average dialup user gets an ipv6 address, but it will come eventually.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:55 pm

munky wrote: it will be a few years yet before the average dialup user gets an ipv6 address, but it will come eventually.
then how many years till dial up users in 3rd world countries get it? :wink: