Help!

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Emm

Help!

Postby Emm » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:58 am

Ok, so I thought I'd gone into IRC but apparently I hadn't, or it hadn't worked or something. I've never been on IRC before but I've been reading bash.org lately and I'm curious to find out what it actually is. The only problem is I live in New Zealand, and apparently that can be a problem?? Please someone help as I'd like to chat or whatever but I can't figure it out (in the... 4 minutes I've been trying) and figure it'll be easier if some knowledgable people such as yourselves helped me out here?

I would appreciate any help you can give :)
wundr

Re: Help!

Postby wundr » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:35 am

Hi, and welcome to the world of IRC and to EFNet. EFNet is one of many IRC networks out there. Some IRC networks are focused on certain topics, and some are general ones. EFNet is a large, general IRC network, so whatever you are interested in, you should be able to find somewhere on EFNet to talk about it.

First, to connect to IRC, you will need an IRC client. Assuming you are using the most common operating system, Windows, and that you want the most common IRC program (client) for Windows, you should go to http://www.mirc.co.uk to download mIRC. Or, alternatively, from the front page of this web site (http://www.efnet.org) click on the "Software" link, where you can download mIRC or a different client for a different operating system (efnet.org is an official mirror of mIRC). You then use that software to connect to an EFNet server. Unfortunately, EFNet currently does not have a server in NZ. You can, however, connect to a different server, most likely with few to no problems. From the front page of this web site, click on the "Servers" link to ge a list of EFNet servers. Choose one that is close to you network-wise (or, if you don't know that, geographically close). I'm not sure, but probably the ones in Caliornia will be best for you, but you can try any/all of them. All of the EFNet servers are connected and share the same information (users, channels), so it really doesn't matter which server you connect to.

If you are new to IRC, you may want to check out http://www.irchelp.org . It has LOTS of good info about using IRC, especially for the first time.

If you have any more questions, you can reply here (or, more logically, in the "help" forum).

Good luck!
lucy

Postby lucy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:11 pm

you can also use http://chat.efnet.org/
although most people would rather use an IRC client installed on their computer (like mIRC), rather than the webchat options.
Emm

Postby Emm » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:01 am

Thanks everyone, I think I can sort myself out from here on in :)
wundr wrote: the ones in Caliornia will be best for you
Fair enough. Although, there is an Australian server... I think? Just out of curiosity, do you know where New Zealand is? (without sounding too much like I'm insulting your intelligence in any way :? )
wundr wrote: (or, more logically, in the "help" forum)
Hahah, yeah, that WOULD be more logical. I, however, do not have a particularly logical brain. *sigh*. c'est la vie :( .

Anywho, thanks again for your help and I might be seeing you on IRC soon! :)
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:27 am

Emm wrote: Fair enough. Although, there is an Australian server... I think? Just out of curiosity, do you know where New Zealand is? (without sounding too much like I'm insulting your intelligence in any way :? )
EFnet used to have one in australia called efnet.telstra.net.au but it delinked years ago (2000ish..) and we havent had anyone since then. With todays internet you can connect to wherever you want and it usually be stable and no lag.

Welcome to efnet :)
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
wundr

Postby wundr » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:48 pm

Emm wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you know where New Zealand is? (without sounding too much like I'm insulting your intelligence in any way :? )
Yes, I do. I live in Japan currently (and have for the last 6 years), and have also lived in the US and in Europe for extended periods of time :-) I also have a colocated server in Australia and I know that it gets much better network routes to the US (especially the western US) than to central Europe, which is where current EFNet servers are located (well, except for irc.ac.za in South Africa, but I don't think the route will be any shorter to there).

Anyway, hope you are able to connect with no problems! Like Hardy said, nowadays, it doesn't really matter too much which server you connect to.