TS5>TS6

Discussion of EFnet's IRCDs (hybrid, ratbox, csircd)

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Software/IRCD Moderators

Damien

TS5>TS6

Postby Damien » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:53 pm

Hi,

Well I don't know if you rember, but a while back Hwy gave the responce to a question I asked about the TSora protocol. (http://www.efnet.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32 - the first topic in IRCD I might add :D)

Fortunatly, i've put them resources to great use and i'm now in possesion of a rather powerful fully TS5 compatiable PHP script (dubbed Aurora on irc.blackcode.com, irc.warindustries.com and irc.litewired.com). However, i'm still developing her with new information I gain.

One question has arison though, i've found a article (thanks to wassup) on the TS6 protocol (http://www.leeh.co.uk/ircd/TS6.txt). Can firstly, it be verified that this is infact a genuine draft and secondly if it is - is there a release date for when it'll be implemented into:

Hybrid ratbox and 6.4

Since our network consists of ratboxes thats the main date i'm looking for, however 6.4 would be interesting.

Thanks in advance/reading.

-Damien
Hwy

Postby Hwy » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:10 pm

It's still a draft and not yet complete.

ircd-ratbox current (2.x) and Hybrid 7-current (7.1 or 8.x) implement it (at least partially) but it's not been heavily tested. It's been said (though I don't know if it's official) that there will be no TS6 support added to hybrid 6.x, or to the stable versions of ircd-ratbox or hybrid 7.0. There is no date that I'm aware of (maybe someone on voting can give you more).

I would continue to use TS5 for now, as it is complete and functional. TS6 will, for the time being, allow TS5 links. TS5 is a lot simpler to write code for, as you don't have to deal with SID+CID and other ID specific code.

PS. Will you make your PHP script open source?
Damien

Postby Damien » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:14 pm

Hi Hwy,

Thanks for the reply.

Well it's good to hear that it's implemented in 2.x of ratbox so that'll be somethign to play with since its very simple for me to switch between TS5 and 6 (if I implement it). I'm not too worried about it not being implemented in hybrid6.4 it just would of been nice to make it more global.

About TS5 being alot simpler - mayber, but I am really interested in U/SID as this will bring alot more power functions and better memory managment since for the time being, to Kline a USER flooding, I have to get his NICK, use a USERHOST which makes love with my beautiful constructed arrays...

Unfortunatly, due to the customization of "Aurora" I won't be making it open source, no - well not at the moment anyway. I do plan on providing the OpenSource community with the engine im developing when I belive that it'll be no risk to our network/give away any information.

aurora.deviousmeans.net will be the base for her project when it's fully running (a few months yet for the site anyway).

Regards,

Damien
leeh
ircd-ratbox coder

Postby leeh » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:55 am

Damien wrote: Well it's good to hear that it's implemented in 2.x of ratbox so that'll be somethign to play with since its very simple for me to switch between TS5 and 6 (if I implement it). I'm not too worried about it not being implemented in hybrid6.4 it just would of been nice to make it more global.
It was designed to be fully compatible with TS5, there should be no problems with a mixed TS network.
Damien wrote: About TS5 being alot simpler - mayber, but I am really interested in U/SID as this will bring alot more power functions and better memory managment since for the time being, to Kline a USER flooding, I have to get his NICK, use a USERHOST which makes love with my beautiful constructed arrays...
Well, youll still need to do that. UIDs are a server <-> server replacement for nicks which are non-unique. So in effect, youre just gunna be looking up a UID instead of a nick.