efnet.demon.co.uk -- Hybrid 7-Demon ?! // Other Modded Hyb 7

Discussion of EFnet's IRCDs (hybrid, ratbox, csircd)

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Software/IRCD Moderators

Tibar

efnet.demon.co.uk -- Hybrid 7-Demon ?! // Other Modded Hyb 7

Postby Tibar » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:21 am

I was wondering if anyone knew exact modifications to efnet.demon.co.uk? When you do a version on Demon you get : hybrid 7.0-Demon (20031103) . I was wondering if anyone could, post the code to evaluate it. Or Manic , If you would come here and explain the add-ons and addion code. Which brings me to another point. Is there any type of rules or regulations stating how far a linked EFNet server can modify their IRCD? Basically all you have to do is state that the IRCD is modified and that is okay ? I just am wondering , I don't want the tone of this messaged to be misconstrued as someone upset as i'm just merely curious !=]

Thank you - Tibar

P.S. Id just like to say that editing messages in this forum is the most anoying process in the world. The way it handles backspacing / deleting text , not to mention spacing, makes me want to scream :)
Last edited by Tibar on Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corrupt
Site Admin

Postby corrupt » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:45 am

Your best bet in getting a reply to this question (if at all) would be to /stats p efnet.demon.co.uk and ask an active oper or admin.
Josh Baird
[corrupt]@EFNet
O: irc.choopa.net
Hwy

Postby Hwy » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:23 pm

The demon patch is public, I have it archived on http://ircd.botbay.net/pub/hybrid/2-Patchsets/demon/ and the original (master) site is available as well.

As for policy, you'd have to ask a current oper/admin. I know +demon is permitted, so is Dianora's +angel patch and my /map patch for 6.x.
seiki

Postby seiki » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:41 am

I don't know very much about EUEFnet policy, but here in the US, "all local mods" are permitted, granted they don't affect other servers around them.

Check out the docs section on the main efnet website for details.

-douglas

p.s. Demon is one of the most trusted and respected entitys on the network; I highly doubt demon would run a shady, illegal ircd mod.
Tibar

Postby Tibar » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:42 am

I wasn't trying to imply that demon is shady or anything like that. I'm intrested in running hyb 7 +demon. The problem i have is the diff from bootbay doesn't patch hyb CURRENT or hyb STABLE correctly. I was wondering if there is any current version of the patch. I've messaged leeh and had no luck. I was wondering hwy if you might know where to purchase a current version :) I hear it's 2 for 1 thursdays !=]

Also I was just merely wondering what the limits of patching your server is. I think there should be some limits to how your ircd runs even if it's just local patching... There are a lot of things that you could patch your ircd with or modify it that wouldn't effect networked servers but could be considered ill advised...

Thank you all for your responses. It was very much appreciated.

Thanks again,

-Tibar- aixit.de
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:35 am

seiki wrote:I don't know very much about EUEFnet policy, but here in the US, "all local mods" are permitted, granted they don't affect other servers around them.

Check out the docs section on the main efnet website for details.

-douglas

p.s. Demon is one of the most trusted and respected entitys on the network; I highly doubt demon would run a shady, illegal ircd mod.
I think its the same in europe, atleast thats the way it works over there. However they do vote on new "branches" of ircd`s to use, and because of it ircd-ratbox is not an allowed ircd in Europe because it didnt pass the region vote.

I belive that the "demon" patch is just a patch to add some of the nice features ratbox have so demon can use it on hybrid7 aswell.
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:44 am

fl knows some of the patches, mods, etc applied to demon. Details of some of them can be found here: http://www.leeh.co.uk/cgi-bin/main.cgi?page=ircd
- HM2K - https://hm2k.org/
Hwy

Postby Hwy » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:35 pm

Tibar wrote:I wasn't trying to imply that demon is shady or anything like that. I'm intrested in running hyb 7 +demon. The problem i have is the diff from bootbay doesn't patch hyb CURRENT or hyb STABLE correctly. I was wondering if there is any current version of the patch. I've messaged leeh and had no luck. I was wondering hwy if you might know where to purchase a current version :) I hear it's 2 for 1 thursdays !=]
Thanks again,

-Tibar- aixit.de
+demon includes most of the FIXES from Hybrid7 -STABLE. Much of -STABLE is the merging in of Dianora's +angel patch, which was a competing implementation of most of what +demon provides. 7.0+demon and 7-STABLE are fairly equivalent. There's only minor differences between them, not counting the fact that +demon has been proven stable by one of the largest EFnet servers, and 7-STABLE has not yet.

Hybrid -CURRENT is basically another ircd. It is structurally completely different from 7.0 and -STABLE. It also includes much of the featureset of +demon/+angel/-STABLE but written in a completely different way. Also remember -CURRENT is pre-beta, so you should ONLY use it if you absolutely need to (and you are a proficient developer who can debug the code).

ps. I didn't post leeh's direct URL because I didn't have permission from him to do so.
leeh
ircd-ratbox coder

Postby leeh » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:50 am

Tibar wrote:I wasn't trying to imply that demon is shady or anything like that. I'm intrested in running hyb 7 +demon. The problem i have is the diff from bootbay doesn't patch hyb CURRENT or hyb STABLE correctly. I was wondering if there is any current version of the patch. I've messaged leeh and had no luck. I was wondering hwy if you might know where to purchase a current version :) I hear it's 2 for 1 thursdays !=]
There isnt, and wont be a current version. Its done solely for demon, so will only exist for the version we use there - demon doesnt require any other version of it and I dont have an infinite amount of time.

If you want the stuff in this patch, I suggest you use ircd-ratbox instead, as my support for +demon only extends to efnet. :)
corrupt
Site Admin

Postby corrupt » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:07 am

and of course your support extends to me as well.
Josh Baird
[corrupt]@EFNet
O: irc.choopa.net
duke

Postby duke » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:46 pm

leeh wrote:If you want the stuff in this patch, I suggest you use ircd-ratbox instead, as my support for +demon only extends to efnet. :)
"extends to efnet" means?!

1) every user of efnet may benefit from your support?
2) administration of efnet?

either way, Tibar seem entitled to your support whatsoever ;)
As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become victims of the darkness.
Hwy

Postby Hwy » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:16 pm

Why are you dredging up long dead threads?

The +demon patch was a crutch to give Hybrid servers some ratbox functionality when ratbox was not allowed on EU-EFnet. The whole reason for the existance of the patch is now moot, so the author can do as he wishes.

PS. Support for EFnet means support for EFnet admins only.