Most popular irc server software

Discussion of EFnet's IRCDs (hybrid, ratbox, csircd)

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Software/IRCD Moderators

0versight

Most popular irc server software

Postby 0versight » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:45 am

Which of the three is the most popular?

ircd-hybrid - http://www.ircd-hybrid.org/
ircd-ratbox - http://www.ircd-ratbox.org/
cs-ircd - http://www.codestud.com/ircd/

Why do you like the one you use?
IRC is how I deal with reality.
slushey

Postby slushey » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:10 pm

Off-efnet, Hybrid is the most popular.
Humor is the best sense we ALL have in common.

slushey ....just me
nothing more.....nothing less

"In Canada we play Duck, Duck, Moose."
Hwy

Postby Hwy » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:02 pm

From my findings (maintaining the ircd.botbay.net ircd archive and writing IRC services programs), I've come across the following "statistics":

csircd (cs-ircd is something totally different) is rarely used on non-EFnet networks. I personally run an instance of it on an ircd/services test network, but I would not personally use csircd in a production environment.

Hybrid 7 and ircd-ratbox have a fairly even share of non-EFnet networks, with the larger networks and the EU networks (minus Bulgaria) gravitating towards Hybrid, and the smaller networks and most of the Bulgarian networks using ratbox. A number of these networks use modified versions.

Hybrid 6 is truthfully a different ircd than Hybrid 7. The name is the same but much else is different. There are still a few networks who remain using Hybrid 6 and modifications.

Also remember that ircd-ratbox is much newer than Hybrid or csircd, so the name is less known to networks outside of EFnet.

If you wish a more objective opinion, or wish to look at things yourself, the following sites can help.

xgoogle (when it was up) allowed you to search according to ircd versions, and this, as well as browsing the server lists on netsplit.de is a good way of seeing "statistics" on what other networks use. SearchIRC refuses to include ircd information in their site, so don't bother looking there for finding servers running Hybrid/ratbox/etc.

Browsing the above sites could help you gauge the popularity of the various servers, but as with everything, remember that they are skewed. There are many networks not listed on any of the IRC search sites, and there are many networks who change the name of their ircd, making it harder to tell (without connecting to a server on that network) what specifically they are running. There are also networks who change ircd's frequently.

Browsing message boards where networks announce news or look for links can also help (and will include some of the smaller networks not listed in xgoogle, searchirc, or netsplit.de). Two fairly useful ones are SearchIRC's boards and ircd.cc. Note that you will have to pass over hundreds of posts about unreal and bahamut networks to get to the ones using an EFnet/TSora protocol ircd.

It could be interesting to ask those networks WHY they chose the ircd they did, but I don't think the EFnet forum is the best place for it.
seiki

Postby seiki » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:17 pm

Hwy wrote:SearchIRC refuses to include ircd information in their site, so don't bother looking there for finding servers running Hybrid/ratbox/etc.
http://searchirc.com/ircd-versions has totals based on versions..

what they don't have, is a way for you to search and see what servers are running a specific ircd. this is to prevent someone from quickly finding all servers who run an exploitable ircd, then rooting them.. or crashing them

the version info is of little use other than to exploit. really.

-douglas
Hwy

Postby Hwy » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:26 pm

seiki wrote: the version info is of little use other than to exploit.

-db
Not really, it's useful for people looking for specific types of networks to link to, it's useful for developers seeing who runs their servers/services.

With any sort of information, there's good and bad uses.

If we go by all version information being bad, then why not disable VERSION for non-opers and disable the 002 numeric?
seiki

Postby seiki » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:27 pm

Hwy wrote:
seiki wrote: the version info is of little use other than to exploit.

-db
Not really, it's useful for people looking for specific types of networks to link to, it's useful for developers seeing who runs their servers/services.

With any sort of information, there's good and bad uses.

If we go by all version information being bad, then why not disable VERSION for non-opers and disable the 002 numeric?

*shrug*.. I'm simply explaining why searchIRC doesn't allow searching for servers based on ircd version.. I'm not debating whether it's right or wrong.

-douglas
Kiryu

Re: Most popular irc server software

Postby Kiryu » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:28 am

It's been my experience that the most popular is Unrealircd.
prz

Re: Most popular irc server software

Postby prz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:04 am

I have admined numerous ircd servers over the past 12 years, and my favorite of the past was Bahamut (personally.)

I have used (to name a few): Dreamforge, Bahamut, Ratbox, Hybrid, Unreal, CS-IRCD, Charybdis, etc... (many, many more smaller ircd's too).

Bahamut was my favorite when it first came along, following the demise of DALnet's then ircd, DreamForge. However, as of recent times, Bahamut is far too outdated.
Things are being worked on (SSL Support, IPv6 Support, etc...) to help modernize the ircd, but until then I have moved on to Charybdis.

If Bahamut updates (which I know it is), as SSL support is now complete and being utilized on test networks successfully, it may gain back as my favorite to use as an Admin.

But until then, for me, I like Charybdis. Plenty of options you can enable/disable, that are actually useful. It's well coded. Slightly complicated to use at first, but once you get the hang of it, it can be useful.
prez@EFnet / prz@EFnet.Forums
prez@DALnet / prez@DALnet.Website