Site Admin

Atn: AIM users

Postby munky » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:17 pm

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/ ... 03-09-26/0

don't visit www. haxr.org
it hijacks your account, logs in as you, and msgs all your buddies the same url

[mod - made link un-clickable just in case....]
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:48 am

hmm, maybe that shouldn't be a clickable link? lol
- HM2K - https://hm2k.org/
lucy

Postby lucy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:15 am

did you click it? :shock:
seiki

Postby seiki » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:33 pm

hey, that's your webserver, munky! YOU H4x0R!@#

just kidding.

-seiki
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:15 pm

lucy don't be silly, but really, if you use AOL then you are likly to click silly links :p

nice one munky
sig11

Postby sig11 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:30 pm

Its much better than MSN Messenger.... ;)

It is hard to train people to use IRC.
Auriga

Postby Auriga » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:27 pm

sig11 wrote:Its much better than MSN Messenger.... ;)

It is hard to train people to use IRC.
Actually I prefer MSN Messenger. I think AIM is ugly, and just blah. Don't even get me started on Yahoo!

Ideal situation, would be IRC, but it can be hard to train people on it. After that I prefer ICQ above the rest. Noting is kewler then leaving messages for people when they arent online. I hate having to wait for someone to come online just to leave them one simple damn message that would take 3 seconds to type in ICQ.
Efnet Operator..
RIP *.qeast.net I'll miss you! :(
Auriga is qurves slave! (is a Forum moderator)
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:08 pm

trillian > *
use email if a user isn't online :P

(i was waiting for a post from auriga about some random flame or something to start conversation, looks like this time she actually has something to say!!! ;)
In God we trust,
Auriga

Postby Auriga » Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:01 am

munky wrote:trillian > *
use email if a user isn't online :P

(i was waiting for a post from auriga about some random flame or something to start conversation, looks like this time she actually has something to say!!! ;)
Yes... trillian is > * but.. trllian is not in itself a chat program so.. PFFT! ;)

E-mail to leave someone a 2 sec message? What a waste of typing an address, a subject, and then making a poor server delever it, then taking up space on someones inbox, and then having the other user need to download it, and risk it getting spam filtered, and missing in mountians of other e-mail.. not to mention.. the overhead of read receipts, and delivery receipts, and even sigatures, and crazy e-mail letterhead!

*gasp* ... a 2 sec ICQ message is still easier ;)

Becides, even when i really have nothing to say i can turn it into lots to say as you can plainly see by the post i am writing now... Because as you can see, its not hard to talk about things that really dont matter when you make it sound like it means a lot to you or others. In fact i think it makes the most sence when you back things up with random examples, which even makes things seems more convincing, like when i just added this example in this post right here.. for example.

So you see munky, before you jump to conclusions that I have nothing to say.. you should really consider the fact that perhaps you arent loking deep enough into a given scenereo before you make that assessement, because in actuality I have lots to say about anything and everything all the time..
capiche? :)
Efnet Operator..
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:46 pm

Well its all very well, but I supose if you really wanted to you could just use the message facility on this forum :p
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:53 pm

Auriga wrote: E-mail to leave someone a 2 sec message? What a waste of typing an address, a subject, and then making a poor server delever it, then taking up space on someones inbox, and then having the other user need to download it, and risk it getting spam filtered, and missing in mountians of other e-mail.. not to mention.. the overhead of read receipts, and delivery receipts, and even sigatures, and crazy e-mail letterhead!
auto complete on address, subject not required, and thats what the servers are there for. get a smaller .sig and scrap the html email. anyways, i find offline icq message delivery to be flakey at best. i've had messages come to me a week late in the past. email rarely has delays of more than a few minutes.
so nyah :P
In God we trust,
Auriga

Postby Auriga » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:06 pm

HM2K wrote:Well its all very well, but I supose if you really wanted to you could just use the message facility on this forum :p
That only works for people on this forum :(
Efnet Operator..
Auriga

Postby Auriga » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:10 pm

munky wrote:
Auriga wrote: E-mail to leave someone a 2 sec message? What a waste of typing an address, a subject, and then making a poor server delever it, then taking up space on someones inbox, and then having the other user need to download it, and risk it getting spam filtered, and missing in mountians of other e-mail.. not to mention.. the overhead of read receipts, and delivery receipts, and even sigatures, and crazy e-mail letterhead!
auto complete on address, subject not required, and thats what the servers are there for. get a smaller .sig and scrap the html email. anyways, i find offline icq message delivery to be flakey at best. i've had messages come to me a week late in the past. email rarely has delays of more than a few minutes.
so nyah :P
Ahahah okay fine..
No sence in fussing. ;)
BTW i only do text e-mail, and i dont have a sig...
Though i do like my delivery reciepts, and at work.. read receipts.. They are very handy, and have saved my butt at work more then once.
But for those who dont just do text e-mail... well.. everything i said still applies!
The offline message deal sure.. its a bit flakey.. sometimes..
SUre you might get duplicates...
But some mail servers are just as flakey..
And becides you still get it right?

*pokes munky inda belly*
I still lub you anyways!
Efnet Operator..
enk0d

Postby enk0d » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:03 am

Let me take this time to say Hi everyone. Now in my honest opinion i think that even though AIM maybe liked by some and hated by others because of MSN existence. What do you think of MSN seeing how they are closing their chatrooms because of all the inappropriate behaviour that has been going on there? Do you still think MSN is the way to go? They don't want to share their new protocol with third party software like Gaim etc.......Us Linux users would like ot be noticed too you know lol
deww

Postby deww » Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:57 am

enk0d wrote:Let me take this time to say Hi everyone. Now in my honest opinion i think that even though AIM maybe liked by some and hated by others because of MSN existence. What do you think of MSN seeing how they are closing their chatrooms because of all the inappropriate behaviour that has been going on there? Do you still think MSN is the way to go? They don't want to share their new protocol with third party software like Gaim etc.......Us Linux users would like ot be noticed too you know lol
That's why there's "talk" and "irc", and yes, "email." :P
Microsoft can do whatever they want with their service. How many people will they impact with this particular decision? Probably not an awful lot.. Correct me if I am wrong, but you can still use MSN Messenger as an IM style client, correct? Connections are not entirely severed. They can collaborate some otherway, perhaps IRC? Usenet? Have some geek setup their own chatroom? *GASP* ACTUALLY PAY FOR A SERVICE!? MS is just severing some of their liability in requiring to help government agencies track down people who abuse their service, in whatever way it is. It's a good move for them, legally and perhaps financially in the long run.
As for MSN, it has never been the way to go for me, that's why I hang around IRC and even on this forum. Sheesh! :D IRC IS THE WAY THE GO!
And the last bit about "...us Linux users..." seems tacky, in the context of the whole article, so it should be changed to "all users who do not use an OS that does not have a native MSN Messenger client, but has friends who insist on using it when there *are* other choices." Lengthy, yes, but Linux users are *not* the only ones that will be cut off.