Bot Service?

Post everything else here

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Other/Off Topic Moderators

xachen

Bot Service?

Postby xachen » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:57 pm

Hey,

As you all know EFnet doesn't have services and not everybody is a bot master. So what I was thinking of doing is starting a botservice on EFnet where people can get a bot for their channel. I am currently going to use a couple eggdrops (thats all the resources I have atm) and as I grow I will get more resources and make a exclusive BotService bot written in C that could integrate into a website.

So what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?

-xachen
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:07 pm

Probably K:lined faster than you can say "Quakenet".
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
xachen

Postby xachen » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:12 pm

yo, why would a botservice be K:Lined? j/w, I'm not that familiar with EFnet, thats all
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:23 pm

a channel with any decent number of clients should have no problem maintaining ops with chanfix, regardless if they have bots or not (there are hundreds of mirc scripts that can do channel maintenance similar to eggdrops)

in general, it's best to rely on the services provided by the network, not third party services. back in the days of irc2.att.net on undernet, we refused to help any channel that used a third party bot service rather than use cservices (X/W), because it was far too easy for someone to hack an eggdrop and takeover a channel, or the owner of the bot service just decided they wanted to keep a channel for themselves, etc.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
bobjuh

Postby bobjuh » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:10 am

munky wrote:a channel with any decent number of clients should have no problem maintaining ops with chanfix, regardless if they have bots or not (there are hundreds of mirc scripts that can do channel maintenance similar to eggdrops)

in general, it's best to rely on the services provided by the network, not third party services. back in the days of irc2.att.net on undernet, we refused to help any channel that used a third party bot service rather than use cservices (X/W), because it was far too easy for someone to hack an eggdrop and takeover a channel, or the owner of the bot service just decided they wanted to keep a channel for themselves, etc.
If the eggdrop is setup wright by someone who knows eggdrops it isn't as easy to hack as you think it is.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:37 pm

one of the first things they teach you in computer science: all software has bugs.

one professor told me that on average, with release code you can expect one bug per 1000 lines.
most of these bugs will just be memory leaks, or segfaults. but occaisonally you'll find a privilege escalation, or a buffer overflow.

also, don't forget, these bot's would be run on a server, which would probably become a target.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
seiki

Postby seiki » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:53 pm

the problem with 'rent-a-bots' is who really runs the channel?. the newbie?. or the rent-a-bot people..

On a network like EFnet where the users are 'experienced/advanced' I don't think you'll be needed.. Who would want to op a -rentabot- anyway..

The concept is amusing.. thanks for the free laugh.

-douglas
^BuGs^

Postby ^BuGs^ » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:32 pm

Isn't there channels set up by shell people that already do this?!? I remember one picticular company doing this at least.
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:50 pm

^BuGs^ wrote:Isn't there channels set up by shell people that already do this?!? I remember one picticular company doing this at least.
Well, the people that use it should know that the bots likely have the highest scores on chanfix, and could easily take over the channel if the owners ever decided to.
admin, irc.umich.edu
^BuGs^

Postby ^BuGs^ » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:31 am

Aye. Good point. :)
seiki

Postby seiki » Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:36 pm

This thread is a blatant spam for thier pathetic channel / inferior services and was designed to simply milk our forum for free publicity.

This thread should be deleted, that channel juped, and bots klined.

-douglas
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:00 pm

seiki wrote:This thread is a blatant spam for thier pathetic channel / inferior services and was designed to simply milk our forum for free publicity.

This thread should be deleted, that channel juped, and bots klined.

-douglas
The channel name in the original post has been deleted.
admin, irc.umich.edu
seiki

Postby seiki » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:12 pm

fair enough :)

(i still juped it, local)

-douglas
tracid

Postby tracid » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:47 am

what was the channel, i want to rent bots!!!!!!
bobjuh

Postby bobjuh » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:00 pm

tracid wrote:what was the channel, i want to rent bots!!!!!!
Don't think anybody is gonna say only maybe the owner of the chan. :)