Evil IRC!

Post everything else here

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Other/Off Topic Moderators

sig11

Evil IRC!

Postby sig11 » Thu May 06, 2004 4:00 pm

I'm sure most of you guys have seen it by now. NY Times article about IRC: "The Internet's Wilder Side." I love this quote: "Even as much of the Internet has come to resemble a pleasant, well-policed suburb, a little-known neighborhood known as Internet Relay Chat remains the Wild West."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/06/techn ... ner=GOOGLE

Lee
0versight

Postby 0versight » Fri May 07, 2004 10:59 am

I would call some of their quotes bullshit and prove that there are better sources for what you need, but I dont want to help out the feds.
IRC is how I deal with reality.
Osc

Postby Osc » Fri May 07, 2004 3:47 pm

ad-free:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/06/techn ... &position=

this link doesn't have the nice layout, either. it's a tradeoff .
irc.he.net Notice -- Osc (osc@irc.packetmonkeys.com) is now an operator
<CHANFIX> You're now logged in with the following flags: ADMIN.
<OCF> Authentication successful. Welcome, Osc.
Isonaught

Postby Isonaught » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:53 pm

That link just takes you to a login screen for the New York Times... maybe you could transcript whatever it was on the page you were trying to link us to?

Anyway, I must say I think that sounds very much like anti-irc talk. Someone, some journalist is out to give people the wrong impression about IRC... Well at least that's the impression I got reading into it. (maybe I read into things too much?)

Well, I say wrong impression, I mean the "little known nieghborhood" bit. :wink: IRC is definately the wild wild west, yeeeeehaa! :D
There's no place like localhost (feedback loop).
Osc

Postby Osc » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:05 pm

Probably because the link, and topic, are a month old.

There may be an archive of the article on slashdot.
irc.he.net Notice -- Osc (osc@irc.packetmonkeys.com) is now an operator
<CHANFIX> You're now logged in with the following flags: ADMIN.
<OCF> Authentication successful. Welcome, Osc.
Isonaught

Postby Isonaught » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:15 pm

Osc wrote:Probably because the link, and topic, are a month old.

Ugh this forum is beginning to annoy me. Everything I reply to, is either over a month old, or someone has a problem with how I replied to it.

Is this place always so sleepy or are you IRCers just not down with the whole foruming thing?
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:09 am

Isonaught wrote:
Osc wrote:Probably because the link, and topic, are a month old.

Ugh this forum is beginning to annoy me. Everything I reply to, is either over a month old, or someone has a problem with how I replied to it.

Is this place always so sleepy or are you IRCers just not down with the whole foruming thing?
Most of us talk on irc ... :)

I guess things are just going so smoothly that there isnt anything to discuss or whine about anymore :)
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
wundr

Postby wundr » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:35 pm

Isonaught wrote:Ugh this forum is beginning to annoy me. Everything I reply to, is either over a month old, or someone has a problem with how I replied to it.
... and it's beginning to annoy me that a completely unknown person keeps bringing up month (or 10)-old topic after topic and contributing very little to them. not to discourage you from posting, but you are the new person here, and it doesn't strike me as polite to join the forum, and then start complaining about it.
Isonaught

Postby Isonaught » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:37 pm

wundr wrote:... and it's beginning to annoy me that a completely unknown person keeps bringing up month (or 10)-old topic after topic and contributing very little to them. not to discourage you from posting, but you are the new person here, and it doesn't strike me as polite to join the forum, and then start complaining about it.
A: I had no idea how old those threads were. I don't check the date of threads that are on the first page, since on most decent forums they are never older than one month.

B: I have just as much right to complain as you do, the fact that I am "Uknown" in your eyes is absolutely irrelivent. I do not wait until I am well known to bring an issue to the surface.

C: I am contributing as much as I feel I need to. Mildly facist whingers like you do NOT set the standard for how much a person must contribute before they are no longer liable to receive flaming. Wait until I do something wrong before you complain about it, idiot.

I will be leaving these forums as of now due to lack of activity, userbase, and decent people.