TV downloads Legal ??

Post everything else here

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Other/Off Topic Moderators

Markus186

TV downloads Legal ??

Postby Markus186 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:00 am

I'm not wanting to start a flaming post. I justed to let people using EFNET know that I was a pretty heavy downloader for a couple of weeks and thought that this was better than sliced bread for TV.

That was until on DEC 13 my Cable modem was turn off. I got it turned back on
and today DEC 22 I got the letter in the mail for the reason it was temp turned off.

My cable company got notice of my IP address and that I was downloading Copyrighted material. The material being only 2 show of many that I was downloading (mainly prime time tv shows) Charmed and Battlestar Galactica. They got this not from BayTSP ( a security company ).

I would like to know what you all think of this? It sounds like to me the MPAA is going to do the samething the RIAA did, rather than just catch up with the time and offer content for a price.

It's like they want you to Pay your Cable, Satilite bill and then not watch the programing or tell you you can only watch it when they want you too.

Anyways just becareful of what you R doing.

As for me, I'll just stick to the manual way. Record it on PVR and move it to my PC via my DC1000 capture card.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:46 am

(moved to off topic)

ever watch football where they have that disclaimer that states "cannot be redistributed or broadcast without express written permission"? same idea here. making something available for download isn't much different than broadcasting, in their eyes. these shows survive because networks pay money to be able to air them. the networks survive by putting advertisements in the shows. the downloads don't have these advertisements, the advertisers lose viewers, the networks lose advertisers, and on up the chain. anyways, that's some of the reasoning behind it.
the simple fact is, you (and the person you are downloading from) are not authorised to redistribute or broadcast. when you record with a pvr, the manufacturer of the pvr is most likely paying royalties to the MPAA and/or others to give you the right to record that movie/show.

then again, IANAL
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Code_Dark

Postby Code_Dark » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:34 am

I'm pretty sure that they don't think of it as "oh, they missed their show before", but more of (1) they're sharing it with people who may not have bought cable subscriptions and (2) they want to sell DVD boxed sets...

I'm personally against the practice of taking legal action against filesharers, but that's a personal opinion; that's probably what they were thinking, anyway.

- cd
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:27 am

Last i checked norwegian laws allowed you to download and watch any shows not currently on norwegian tv. I dont think ive ever heard of anyone convicted or even accused of downloading tv shows here in norway.

I dont know what i would do without the ability to download tv shows ;)
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff