Survey on Virtual Communities

Post everything else here

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Other/Off Topic Moderators

solarismach5

Survey on Virtual Communities

Postby solarismach5 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:46 pm

Hi
I'm a student doing research on virtual communities for my third year dissertation, I need to research IRC but everytime I post a question asking for help on IRC I get kicked out the room and its driving me insane so I've decided to ask here.

If anyone could fill out this short survey it would be most appreciated.

http://www.solarismach5.myby.co.uk/Survey/

Thanks a lot!

John

P.S. If you do decide to answer please put the channel you found this on as the IRC channel you use the most regularly.
Dario

Postby Dario » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:24 pm

If you were joining channels and posting this URL you were probably being treated as a SPAM bot would be and being kicked automatically.

If you wish to "Study" the natives it is usually a good idea to hang out with them before using the "Probe" ;-)
Member DNRC
solarismach5

Postby solarismach5 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:49 am

I tried joining rooms and posting the URL at first but after being kicked out a few rooms I asked for private messages if anyone would fill out the survey and i still got kicked out for that :(

So i've resorted to forums about IRC, my research isnt going that badly thanks to the responses on various forums.

Thanks to everyone who answered the survey.
wundr

Re: Survey on Virtual Communities

Postby wundr » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:17 am

solarismach5 wrote:Hi
I'm a student doing research on virtual communities for my third year dissertation, I need to research IRC
Your research seems to deal more with online games than with IRC. Or, are you looking at IRC to show the opinion on the non-spacial side of things (e.g. whether people involved in non-spacial online groups also share a sense of community).
Also, are you very familiar with IRC yourself? A little more information may make people want to participate, instead of just "hi, you don't know me, but can you do me a favor????" ...
but everytime I post a question asking for help on IRC I get kicked out the room and its driving me insane
This just shows how much of a 'community' each channel is... so much so that they don't want outside people coming in and asking unrelated questions...
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:37 pm

wundr wrote: This just shows how much of a 'community' each channel is... so much so that they don't want outside people coming in and asking unrelated questions...
well, not quite. if he's joining and pasting the url inthe channel, or doing /msg onjoin, he'll get kickbanned as a spambot (and possibly klined)

if you want to get people to respond from a channel, rather than just pasting, try saying something like "if anyone has some free time and would like to help me with my research by taking a survey, please msg me". maybe even chat with a channel op, and see if he will post your URL in the topic for you. try to be more personal, not just pasting canned messages. you'll get a much better response
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
wundr

Postby wundr » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:25 pm

munky wrote:if you want to get people to respond from a channel, rather than just pasting, try saying something like "if anyone has some free time and would like to help me with my research by taking a survey, please msg me". maybe even chat with a channel op, and see if he will post your URL in the topic for you. try to be more personal, not just pasting canned messages. you'll get a much better response
I guess that was what I was trying to get at when I said, "A little more information may make people want to participate" ... thanks for saying it much better than I did. I agree with what munky said; all of a sudden just pasting a random line about going to a URL and taking a survey would be strange, but if you explain a little more about what you are doing or get approval from a channel op, I think you will have much more success.
solarismach5

Postby solarismach5 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:38 pm

My research is about comparing MUDs to IRC and Usenet, Im trying to argue that a representation of physical space online (MUD) builds a closer community than other types of online community (Usenet and IRC). I'm gathering the research to compare the various communities and prove my point.

I have a lot of MUD experience and only very recent IRC and Usenet experience, my research from books is going well and backs up my theory that a representation of physical space builds closer communties.

Few examples:

Shared environment so people can discuss events they've all experienced rather than outside contexts
More interaction and game like qualities that get people addicted
Greater explorarion of Identity via characters/role play
Objects and various gains of power

This is the exact message I send on IRC (cut and pasted, not on room enter)

"Anyone mind doing a short survey on virtual communities to help me with my third year university dissertation? If so please send me a message."

I think if I joined a room and spoke for a bit and then posted it people might just think id been pretending to care and then used them :S The channel op idea sounds good though!

Im going away to my gfs til Sunday so i wont be able to reply for a few days.
Dario

Postby Dario » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:01 pm

solarismach5 wrote: Im going away to my gfs til Sunday so i wont be able to reply for a few days.
A GF? you MUDD and IRC and HAve a GF??? Your creds are suspect! ;-)

Actually I believe that all the Virtual Spaces Create a small sence of community.

I have been active on serveral IRC networks for many years. Experienced some of the Spilts that created some of the major spin off networks. and Experienced in micro - in channels that got political and spilt.

Having the address gets you to a particular place. Getting to know the people over a span of time and interacting with them is what contributes to the feeling of community.

Sorry for the Ramble.
Member DNRC
solarismach5

Postby solarismach5 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:08 pm

lol shes a nerd too actually, her eyes lit up when i showed her the new star wars trailer.

Interesting ramble anyway :) I'll be investigating quite a few frequent interaction and interest based things...when i get round to writing it *fear*