Support Channel Ops who run legit chat chans in a real way

Ideas, suggestions, and constructive criticisms about EFnet's Websites

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Website/Ideas/Suggestions Moderators

CometBaby

Support Channel Ops who run legit chat chans in a real way

Postby CometBaby » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:18 pm

I see where efnet is getting rid of the warez chans and trying to move away from the illegal activities and move more toward the chat channels. So long as you are on this line of thought, I think that you could help that along, by trying to lend those of us who are running legitimate and active chat channels, a bit more of a hand.

Right now there is no efnet sponsored organization to help channel ops and owners communicate with each other. Perhaps this could be solved by opening up a channel and/or establishing a forum here, for channel ops and administrators.

There is any number of things that we could discuss with each other as well as sharing information. For example, should you moderate your channel? Discussions could give the pros and cons. Some things to think about if you decide to moderate, and tips on running a moderated channel. People who are currently running moderated channels could contribute ideas they have found to be successful, and talk about what didn't work.

Another good example would be organized channel attacks. Remember when GNAA was raising heck on efnet? Someone from #mirc came over to talk to me (I am a co-owner of #politics) about how we were handling the problem. I had some good advice to give him which they were able to utilize. In this instance a channel op took the initiative to seek out another channel operator for advice and assistance. So yes, there is a need.

I have only mentioned two things, but obviously there are any number of ways we could help each other. Wouldn't it be nice if we had an official place to go? Why can't efnet support such an endeavor?

I am not just making a suggestion here. I am offering to help you get it started. I would be willing to moderate it for you. I work out of my home so I am available when people need me. What qualifies me? Boy do I have experience running a channel.

#politics is managed by FreeTrade and CometBaby (myself) and we run a successful, highly active, extremely popular, legitimate chat channel on efnet. We are not only big, but we are active 24/7.

#politics has had the same management for over a decade. No easy feat on efnet when you stop to think about it. Particularly for a channel as controversial as a political channel. hehe

If efnet is interested in doing something like this, I am offering to take a position of leadership to help you institute it. Obviously I love efnet. This is our channel home. It has been for over a decade and will continue to be. If you want to promote legitimate chat channels, this is a way to bring us together, so we can feel a part of the efnet family, rather than leaving us out there to fend for ourselves, on our own.

I have a stake in efnet too, and I would like to help in a way I know I can.

CometBaby
You can twist perceptions .. reality won't budge!
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:17 pm

you do realize that was an april fools post, right?
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
CometBaby

Postby CometBaby » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:22 am

heh .. I never pay attention to April Fool and my husband gets me every year with something.

At any rate .. I'd like to do it, but I don't really expect anything to come of this. For whatever it is worth .. if efnet really is open to suggestions .. the offer is sincere.
HM2K

Re: Support Channel Ops who run legit chat chans in a real w

Postby HM2K » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:28 pm

CometBaby wrote:I see where efnet is getting rid of the warez chans
April fool!

What do you mean by "moderate"? Do you mean +m?
CometBaby wrote:Another good example would be organized channel attacks
Are you saying you would use the forums to organise a channel attack?
CometBaby wrote:I am a co-owner of #politics
No one owns a channel. Which is why your idea wouldn't work.

I really don't think ops of channels need to talk to eachother any more than they have/want to.

Enjoy.
- HM2K - https://hm2k.org/
ShadowStar

Postby ShadowStar » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:04 am

CometBaby wrote:I see where efnet is getting rid of the warez chans and trying to move away from the illegal activities and move more toward the chat channels. So long as you are on this line of thought, I think that you could help that along, by trying to lend those of us who are running legitimate and active chat channels, a bit more of a hand.
I don't think it's a good idea to favor one channel op over another just because the channel is older.
Right now there is no efnet sponsored organization to help channel ops and owners communicate with each other. Perhaps this could be solved by opening up a channel and/or establishing a forum here, for channel ops and administrators.
That would undermine the freedom of EFNet. Why should someone who can pay or have more IRC time be treated better? If you want to chat with other ops, just chat with them. Why does it need to have structure?
There is any number of things that we could discuss with each other as well as sharing information. For example, should you moderate your channel? Discussions could give the pros and cons. Some things to think about if you decide to moderate, and tips on running a moderated channel. People who are currently running moderated channels could contribute ideas they have found to be successful, and talk about what didn't work.
Another good example would be organized channel attacks. Remember when GNAA was raising heck on efnet? Someone from #mirc came over to talk to me (I am a co-owner of #politics) about how we were handling the problem. I had some good advice to give him which they were able to utilize. In this instance a channel op took the initiative to seek out another channel operator for advice and assistance. So yes, there is a need.
That's how it should be. No need for any organization within EFNet to accomplish this. There are plenty of people willing to help on various channels.
I have only mentioned two things, but obviously there are any number of ways we could help each other. Wouldn't it be nice if we had an official place to go? Why can't efnet support such an endeavor?
I think there is a place for official EFNet business. That's this web site. You have problems come here and voice them. The organization is here. I think what you want is a help channel. That exists.
I am not just making a suggestion here. I am offering to help you get it started. I would be willing to moderate it for you. I work out of my home so I am available when people need me. What qualifies me? Boy do I have experience running a channel.
I've been in your channel. You are one of the most abussive channel operaters I've seen. Moderation is one of the worst things to happen to IRC channels. As with any good idea. Some people use moderation to abuse others.
#politics is managed by FreeTrade and CometBaby (myself) and we run a successful, highly active, extremely popular, legitimate chat channel on efnet. We are not only big, but we are active 24/7.

#politics has had the same management for over a decade. No easy feat on efnet when you stop to think about it. Particularly for a channel as controversial as a political channel. hehe
#Politics is run by the most abuse operators I've ever seen. In fact channels like #politics on EFNet is one of the main problems these days. The people who've opped that channel have been there too long and they've become too abusive. That causes animosity and hacking attempts.

No way should a channel like #politics be run by the same people for that long. Channels need new blood. #Politics is not really popular but it is controversial. All of the operators are conservatives and claim that they only kick, ban or devoice people according to the "fair" operators. To the operators of that channel fair means conservatives can say or do what they want. Liberals should watch what they say and never prove that an operator is wrong on an issue.

If there needs to be any type of EFNet intervention, I think they should take over channels like #politics and EFNet runs the channel. They manage the channel without bias. The way it works now is channels are run by people with power trips who throw their weight around. Cometbaby here is one of the worst abusers I've seen. I can't see any operators of EFNet giving Cometbaby here an official job.

If you want to moderate a channel for helping other operators, then start a channel called #ophelp or something and moderate it.
If efnet is interested in doing something like this, I am offering to take a position of leadership to help you institute it. Obviously I love efnet. This is our channel home. It has been for over a decade and will continue to be. If you want to promote legitimate chat channels, this is a way to bring us together, so we can feel a part of the efnet family, rather than leaving us out there to fend for ourselves, on our own.
If operators like you who go on power trips weren't so abundant, there would be little need for defense against hackers.
I have a stake in efnet too, and I would like to help in a way I know I can.

CometBaby
The stake you have in EFNet is the same thing you have in #politics. You want more power to lord over users who don't share your far right wing views. You guys have run #poltics too long. I would love to see the EFNet management clean house and let an important channel like #politics be a place for free speech not power tripping abusive operators.

ShadowStar

--- Fixed the quote tags - Pills
lucy

Postby lucy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:31 am

shadowstar, if you edit your post to fix the quotes it would help

the first of the quote has no /
you only put /quote at the end of the quote.
ShadowStar

Postby ShadowStar » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:25 am

lucy wrote:shadowstar, if you edit your post to fix the quotes it would help

the first of the quote has no /
you only put /quote at the end of the quote.

Thanks. I wish the quoting system for forums was more like that on USENET.

ShadowStar
ShadowStar

Postby ShadowStar » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:08 pm

Pills wrote: --- Fixed the quote tags - Pills
Thanks Pills! I see how it works now.

Shadowstar
quixote--

Postby quixote-- » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:55 pm

I've been in #politics many many times.

Honestly, you're one of the worst operators I have ever seen.
You only want to offer more help, to get more power, to lord it over others. God forbid that should ever happen. While you seem outwardly friendly, but you're not.

Your moderated policies and lack of real ops show a lack of trust of users. Which is unfortunate. Most of the subops you have are pretty callous in their treatment of channel visitors new or regulars.

All of which shows a real lack of judgement on your part. I really hope none of your ideas ever bear fruition.
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:57 pm

OK, let me come back with an "official" response here.

If you want to do something where chanops can get together, by all means feel free. However, it will not be done in an offical EFnet capacity, nor will it be done here.

Channels don't have owners; channels have people who are opped in them. The people who run this site hang out in a channel that gets abused a lot, and yet it's been chugging along for almost 5 years. Another channel I go in has been around for about 15 years, experinces less problems, and it's there. In general, from what I've seen in my long experience on this network, people know how to run channels.

Thus, me and my 14+ years on EFnet will call you all newbies, and bid you good day.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
ShadowStar

Postby ShadowStar » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:42 am

quixote-- wrote:I've been in #politics many many times.

Honestly, you're one of the worst operators I have ever seen.
You only want to offer more help, to get more power, to lord it over others. God forbid that should ever happen. While you seem outwardly friendly, but you're not.

Your moderated policies and lack of real ops show a lack of trust of users. Which is unfortunate. Most of the subops you have are pretty callous in their treatment of channel visitors new or regulars.

All of which shows a real lack of judgement on your part. I really hope none of your ideas ever bear fruition.
It's really a shame that the main political channel on EFnet is run by one side. They also run the one on Undernet. I'm sure they've tried to take over every #poltics channel on every major network. They also let complete crazies become ops in that channel. TheTailor and Twobar are two abusive ops there. What should be done is someone should start a new political channel on EFnet and get the moderates and liberals that frequent #poltics to stop showing up there. The conservatives would go crazy if they didn't have anyone to lord over.

I tend to stay away from the channel and chat in the #politics channel on Freenode IRC network. That channel is run by nobody. Nobody gets kicked or banned. It's just there to chat about politics.

ShadowStar
CometBaby

Postby CometBaby » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:30 am

StarShadow: No way should a channel like #politics be run by the same people for that long. Channels need new blood. #Politics is not really popular but it is controversial.
So you are suggesting "Term Limits" for channel mgmt on EFnet? *Moderation* is a feature afforded us by EFnet. Are you going to tell them how to manage things too?

Nobody makes you come to #politics and nobody forces you to stay. If you don't like the channel, here is what I suggest you do: Stop whining and go open up your own channel.

CometBaby
CometBaby

Postby CometBaby » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:47 am

quixote--: Your moderated policies and lack of real ops show a lack of trust of users.

*Moderation* is a feature offered by EFnet .. I don't apologize for utilizing it. We have as many live ops as we have determined we need .. no more, no less. A lack of trust in practically inherent on EFnet.
CometBaby

Postby CometBaby » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:51 am

Pills: However, it will not be done in an offical EFnet capacity, nor will it be done here.
I agree. It was a bad idea .. I should not have suggested it and I certainly will not pursue it.

CometBaby
CometBaby

Postby CometBaby » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:53 am

HM2K: It was an April Fool's joke ..
Got me! I fall for April Food jokes every year :(

CometBaby