Routing user connections in hybrid7?

Discussion of EFnet's IRCDs (hybrid, ratbox, csircd)

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Software/IRCD Moderators

DarkExplosion

Routing user connections in hybrid7?

Postby DarkExplosion » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:16 pm

Im not shure if this is the right place for this kind of question but ill ask it anyways... In hybrid 7 it says that it allowes you to route users from your ircd to another, when i tried it I found it more as if I just k-lined a whole ip range from my ircd. Ive realised that some irc networks have it setup so that once you connect to a ircd, it will transfer you over without actually killing your client but just moving the connection over to another ircd. I've seached for this type of thing for hybrid but without luck. So if anyone would know of a mod/hack for hybrid or an app that will permit me to do this plz reply :D :D

thx
leeh
ircd-ratbox coder

Re: Routing user connections in hybrid7?

Postby leeh » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:59 am

DarkExplosion wrote:Im not shure if this is the right place for this kind of question but ill ask it anyways... In hybrid 7 it says that it allowes you to route users from your ircd to another, when i tried it I found it more as if I just k-lined a whole ip range from my ircd. Ive realised that some irc networks have it setup so that once you connect to a ircd, it will transfer you over without actually killing your client but just moving the connection over to another ircd. I've seached for this type of thing for hybrid but without luck. So if anyone would know of a mod/hack for hybrid or an app that will permit me to do this plz reply :D :D
If you want to do it via auth {}; blocks, then youd probably have to code it yourself. All ircd can do (realistically) is tell the user "you should be connecting here instead", its up to the users client to decide what to do with it. If you just want irc to proxy the connection [ie, sit in the middle between them], then theres no real point in doing it. Youre not actually gaining anything except increased latency.

If you want to physically move the connection, youre gunna have issues. I dunno specific details of TCP, but im fairly sure it wouldnt like the destination IP of a connection suddenly changing ;).
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:44 pm

knowing a bit about tcp/ip:

no, you can't just "forward" an existing tcp connection. it would be part of the IRC protocol (placing compatibility on the client) to FIN your current connections, and do a new SYN/ACK on a new connection. it would break countless IDS/firewall rules to suddenly have a data stream with no SYN/ACK.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.